An 11-year-old boy in Pennsylvania stunned a courtroom this week after he was led inside in handcuffs to face homicide charges in the death of his adoptive father — a tragedy investigators say unfolded just hours after the family celebrated his birthday.
Clayton Dietz, 11, arrived in chains at the Perry County Courthouse in New Bloomfield on Thursday, flanked by probation officers. The soft-spoken pre-teen, described by local reporters as expressionless, said nothing as cameras clicked and questions were shouted his way.
Prosecutors allege the shocking chain of events began shortly after midnight on January 13 at the family’s home in Duncannon Borough, near Harrisburg.
According to Pennsylvania State Police, the boy is accused of shooting his adoptive father, Douglas Dietz, 42, in the head while he slept. Investigators claim Clayton accessed a revolver stored inside a bedroom safe and fired a single shot.
Court documents say the family had just wrapped up a birthday celebration for Clayton before heading to bed. The boy later told police he had enjoyed the day — but was upset because his Nintendo Switch had been taken away.
His mother, Jillian Dietz, reportedly told troopers she woke up around 3 a.m. to a loud noise. At first, she thought she smelled fireworks. When she tried to wake her husband and heard what sounded like dripping, she turned on the light — and realized it was blood, according to the affidavit.
Authorities say Clayton entered the room and yelled, “Daddy’s dead.”
Investigators claim the child later admitted, “I shot somebody,” and allegedly detailed removing the gun from the safe, loading it and walking to his father’s side of the bed before pulling the trigger.
Police say he told them he had been angry and “had not thought about” what would happen afterward.
Jillian Dietz reportedly said she did not know where the key to the gun safe was kept. Clayton allegedly told troopers he found it in his father’s drawer while searching for his gaming console.
Douglas and Jillian adopted Clayton in 2018, according to court records.
Now, the case is heading into legally uncharted territory for someone so young.
Clayton has been charged as an adult with criminal homicide. If convicted in adult court, he could face life in prison without the possibility of parole. While the U.S. Supreme Court has banned mandatory life sentences for minors, Pennsylvania law still allows life without parole in certain circumstances.
If the case is transferred to juvenile court, the sentencing structure would be dramatically different. Under Pennsylvania law, children 14 or younger face a minimum of 25 years for first-degree murder or 20 years to life for second-degree murder.
Following Thursday’s hearing, Clayton’s defense attorney told reporters his primary goal is to have the case moved to juvenile court.
The case has left the small central Pennsylvania community reeling — raising painful questions about youth violence, firearm access and how the justice system handles children accused of unthinkable crimes.

He has to be placed away forever never to be freed. A tragedy beyond comprehension for the lovely people who adopted him. They certainly did not deserve this for trying to save him.
Let me guess. He thinks he’s a girl, misassigned at birth.