A man has been cut in half after falling from a high-end New York City apartment block, a witness has said.
The victim fell from the 750ft Deutsche Bank Center, a building in which celebs including Jay Z and Tom Brady have luxury apartments. He then fell throw the marquee of the Mandarin Oriental Hotel, a 19-story high end 5* hotel where prices start at $1,000 a night.
The man was pronounced dead at the scene.An employee who works at the building said the hotel’s marquee “cut him in half”. The tragic incident happened just after 9pm on Thursday evening. A witness at the scene said that the man was wearing pyjama bottoms and slippers with a printed t-shirt.
Despite looking like he was getting ready for bed, the man is not believed to have been a guest at the hotel. It has been reported that the man was seen taking the service elevator up to the roof of the building.
There was panic and horror on the streets when passersby realised what had happened, with glass and debris covering the street.
Nobody else was injured and police are not believed to be investigating at this time. The identity of the victim has not yet been revealed as the investigation into the incident is still ongoing.
The luxurious location is famous among famous A-list celebrities. Not only have Jay-Z and Tom owned residences in the tower, but the building was also previously home to Sex in the City star Cynthia Nixon and Brazilian model Gisele Bundchen.
The building lies on a famous street in New York called the “Billionaire’s Row” – the name given to a group of ultra-luxury residential skyscrapers near the southern end of Central Park in Manhattan.
The tragic incident come just weeks after the US Justice Department successfully extradited two Nigerian men to face charges in relation to a sexual extortion scheme that led to the suicide of a 17-year-old student from Michigan.
Jordan DeMay tragically took his own life in March, 2022 after Samuel Ogoshi, 22, and Samson Ogoshi, 20, from Lagos, coerced Jordan into sending explicit photographs by posing as young women.
They allegedly threatened to distribute these images to his family, friends and classmates. If found guilty, Samuel and Samson Ogoshi could face a mandatory minimum sentence of 30 years in prison.
The FBI issued a warning last year regarding the increasing prevalence of these schemes, often originating from West Africa, where cybercriminal activities have been a longstanding concern.
John DeMay, the father of the deceased athlete said: “Here were three Nigerian men that conspired from across the planet, and came into my house in the middle of the night while I was sleeping, and murdered my son.” told NBC news.