Following his retirement from the NFL, Tom Brady has currently agreed to serve as a game analyst for Fox, covering the NFL from the booth. But there’s some strong skepticism that ever actually happens.
During his podcast with John Ourand this week, Andrew Marchand of the New York Post addressed the future of Tom Brady with Fox. Marchand claims that after talking to people close to Brady, he’s only 49 percent sure Brady ultimately goes through with his broadcasting deal with Fox.
“It was at 51 percent that he’s going to do it to 49 percent, with the reasoning it’s so much money he’ll try it for a year,” Marchand said. “However, I’ve talked to a couple people recently close to Brady and I kind of feel like I’m going more 49 percent chance he does it, 51 percent chance he doesn’t.”
Marchand explained that he isn’t sure Brady is going to want to put in that sort of commitment.
“I don’t think he wants travel that much — obviously he’s going to go private. I think Brady’s a guy who if he’s in, he’s all-in, so he’s not going to be showing up day of games like Joe Buck and Aikman do sometimes, he’s going to be there early if he’s going to do it. So it’s going to be a four-day event, again, cry me a river for that type of money for five and a half months,” Marchand said.
It’s pretty brutal news for anyone hoping to hear him call a game in the future, and the NFL world had plenty to say about it.
Well that’s a bummer. https://t.co/So4lCjvffB— Michael Fabian (@Mike_Fabian13) May 4, 2023
If he’s skittish about the travel and the work required to be an A-team color man…yeah, he’s returning the money. https://t.co/Fe79Zey80Q— Kevin D. Grüssing (Pronounced Grew-sing) (@KevDGrussing) May 4, 2023
I would not be surprised if Tom Brady walks away from 10-year, $375 million Fox deal. Reality is he doesn’t need it. Has multiple business ventures, wants to be around kids. Would make more sense as studio analyst on bi-weekly basis. I would enjoy unfiltered Brady on broadcast. https://t.co/o5DDWBDCjg— Troy Renck (@TroyRenck) May 4, 2023
Brady recently spoke out against the rumors.
Responding to a Sports Illustrated post about his apparent hesitance about moving onto Fox, Brady commented “FakeNews.” While the term has existed since the 19th century, it was popularized during the 2016 United States presidential election.
While Brady’s clarification will likely do little to convince the football-loving public of his future … a good portion still isn’t fully sure his playing career is over … there’s no better source to reveal his future. The 10-year, $375 million contract offered to him by Fox Sports, which would make him the lead color analyst for the network’s biggest games, was originally offered to him after his original retirement from the league in 2022.