Prince Andrew has been ‘keeping an eye’ on Harry and Meghan’s life in the US as he considers his next career, it has emerged.
The Duke of York, 62, was stripped of his royal titles and roles last year but insiders claim he is ‘less bothered’ about the situation than people believe.
A source close to Andrew told The Sun that he has been following the Sussexes’ journey ‘very, very closely’ as he considers ways to ‘forge a new career.’
The disgraced Duke is understood to be plotting a comeback that will restore his tarnished reputation. He is also allegedly considering legal action against his sex abuse accuser Virginia Giuffre.
Andrew is seemingly impressed at how Harry and Meghan were able to ‘set up a new working life away from the Royal Family’ in California.
The insider claimed he is ‘very interested’ in ‘business and charity’ but unlike his nephew, would be shying away from Netflix-style projects.
The royal is also reportedly assembling his own team. He is understood to have recently lost his communications officer of two years.
MailOnline has approached Andrew’s representatives via email for comment.
Andrew was forced to step back from Royal duties in November 2019 over alleged sex abuse, but has always strongly denied the claims, made in a US civil court case.
The Mail on Sunday reported last month that he is now considering trying to overturn a multi-million-pound settlement he made with Giuffre.
The future surrounding the case led to him being stripped of his honorary military titles, and any return to public life seems impossible.
King Charles is said to feel it would not be appropriate to include him in an official position.
Andrew is still a Knight of the Garter, the ancient order of chivalry dating back to 1348, and, traditionally, Garter Knights have performed significant roles during Coronation ceremonies.
Despite remaining a Garter Knight, Andrew was banned from last year’s annual public procession.
Instead, he joined other Garter Knights for the private part of the day.
Meanwhile, Andrew’s alleged bid to pursue a life in America follows reports that his lawyers are making moves to disclose legal documents involving Giuffre in the hope that it will ‘demolish’ her story and restore his reputation.
The Duke of York paid an estimated £12million settlement to Giuffre after she made claims he had sex with her when she was 17, which he has denies.
His legal team have sought access to papers from a lawsuit between Giuffre, 39, and US lawyer Alan Dershowitz, whom she formerly accused of abuse but later admitted she’d made a mistake, The Sunday Times reported.
The prince was stripped of all royal duties and his military titles in the fallout from his 2019 BBC Newsnight interview, in which he was unrepentant about his friendships with Ghislaine Maxwell and convicted paedophile Jeffrey Epstein.
He has insisted Ms Giuffre’s claim of a sexual encounter in 2001 ‘didn’t happen’, and questioned the validity of a photograph of them both taken at Maxwell’s Mews house.
Royal analysts believe he was left a substantial inheritance by the Queen and this has provided him with the security — should he wish — to mount the legal challenge against Giuffre.
Others suspect Andrew, who was recently branded one of the most unpopular royals, may pen a memoir to try and clear his name after having consistently denied Giuffre’s allegations.
The Duke also recently claimed to friends that a ‘mystery development’ will restore his disgraced reputation within the coming months.