Viviane Rodrigues was putting on a wash at her home in Juazeiro, north-east Brazil, this week.
Investigators said she suffered a massive shock when she put her hand in the machine while it was still running to retrieve some items of clothing.
Her husband rushed her to the local hospital emergency unit, but Mrs Rodrigues – mother to a nine-month-old son – was declared dead on arrival.
Following an autopsy, her body was taken to the rural community of Gameleira do Di in the municipality of Campo Formoso, where her family lives.
She was buried in Gameleira do Di on 16th June. She leaves behind a husband and a baby son.
It is not the only washing machine tragedy that has been reported in recent years.
A young child last year died after being found in the appliance that had been switched on.
The pre-school age child was found unresponsive in a front-loading washing machine, Stuff reports.
A spokesperson said that officers were notified of an incident in the Christchurch, New Zealand.
The force said: “One person was injured and taken to hospital where they later died.
“Police are making enquiries into the circumstances of the death and the coroner has been informed.”
The potential dangers of washing machines and children have been widely reported.
According to the Consumer Product Safety Commission, there have been at least three related deaths of children aged five and younger since 2014.
The Mirror’s newsletter brings you the latest news, exciting showbiz and TV stories, sport updates and essential political information.
The newsletter is emailed out first thing every morning, at 12noon and every evening.
There have also been about 3,000 emergency room visits related to washing machines.
Non-profit group Consumer Reports say of the risks: “It’s critical that parents explain to their young children that appliances are not toys, and that they can be dangerous.
“It’s equally important to point out any potential dangers to anyone watching your children while you’re away.
“Remember that young kids are at a developmental stage that makes them especially curious.”