Labradoodle Set on Fire in Georgia by Unknown Attackers Is Expected to Recover

labradoodle in Dekalb County, Georgia, who was found engulfed in flames earlier this month is expected to recover.

On Dec. 5, Will the labradoodle was seen running down the street some time after 10 a.m. While witnesses were able to put out the flames, the dog’s attackers have yet to be found, NBC affiliate WXIA reports.

The dog has since been looked after by Dog Days Rescue, a non-profit that is overseeing his hospitalization and treatments at a partnering veterinary hospital.

As seen in the updates on Dog Days’ Facebook page, the canine is expected to recover, but will still face painful steps in healing from his burns.

In the organization’s update from Monday night, Dog Days wrote, “Today was a tough day for Will…. (the treatment) painful but necessary… He’s expected to be hospitalized for at least another four weeks.”

The rescue organization also set up an authorized online fundraiser to help pay for the pooch’s treatments. As of Tuesday night, the page has raised over $8,500.

On Saturday, Dog Days wrote on Facebook, “Our visit with Will was a good one today. He was in great spirits, he stood and moved around some today.”

“He was able to have his catheter removed and is urinating on his own! All good news! We feel sure that he is going to make it through this!” the post later added.

Original Article: Labradoodle Set on Fire by Unknown Attackers Is Expected to Recover | PEOPLE.com

Scientists Are “Terrified” of NASA’s James Webb Telescope Launch

NASA is about to blast a massive space telescope into space that has cost the agency approximately $10 billion and more than 20 years to build — meaning that astronomers are absolutely horrified by the possibility that something could go wrong during the launch later this month, The New York Times reports.

“I will almost certainly watch the launch and be terrified the entire time,” University of New Hampshire physics professor Chanda Prescod-Weinstein told the newspaper.

The Ariane 5 rocket, with NASA’s James Webb Space Telescope on board, is set to launch from a European facility in French Guiana on December 22, the culmination of years of delays and massive budget overruns.

Engineers were already holding their breath after technicians encountered a heart-stopping “incident” last month while mounting the structure to the rocket’s launch vehicle adapter, in a hiccup that ended up pushing back the telescope’s launch even further.

Can’t Look

Even once it’s in space, the telescope will have to deploy a gigantic mirror made up of several hexagonal mirror pieces, a process that will take six nail-biting and anxiety-inducing months to complete.

“The entire astronomy community, given the broad range of anticipated science returns and discovery potential, has skin in the game,” Yale astrophysicist Priyamvada Natarajan told the Times. “We are all intellectually and emotionally invested.”

In other words, the stakes couldn’t be higher.

“Any failure of JWST would be disastrous for NASA,” Cambridge University astronomer Martin Rees told the NYT in an email, noting that any points of failure during the unfurling of the mirrors could end up being “a mega-catastrophic and embarrassing PR disaster.”

Unfortunately, failure is always an option. Such a disaster could leave a very dark mark for the space agency, like when it accidentally crashed a spacecraft into Mars.

But the payoff could be equally huge: once deployed, the space telescope could usher in a new era in space exploration, potentially rewriting our understanding of the early days of the our universe — much like its predecessor, NASA’s Hubble Space Telescope.

Original Article: Scientists Are “Terrified” of NASA’s James Webb Telescope Launch (https_futurism.com)

Elon Musk mocks Jeff Bezos, tells him to spend ‘less time in the hot tub’

Elon Musk isn’t shy when it comes to critiquing fellow billionaire Jeff Bezos.

Now the world’s richest man has told the world’s second-richest man to work harder and spend “less time in the hot tub.”

Ouch.

In recent years, much has been reported on the so-called billionaire space race as Musk – with Space X – and Bezos – with Blue Origin – explore alternative ways to sustain human life in space and on other planets.

The Space X and Tesla CEO had always had plenty to say about his rival and has once again taken the opportunity to have a dig at Bezos during an interview with the Financial Times, which declared Musk as their Person of the Year (along with Time who also controversially made Musk their Person of the Year).

While he somewhat praised Bezos for having “reasonably good engineering aptitude,” Musk said that he “does take himself a bit too seriously.”

(Musk probably thinks he’s no fun because he hasn’t called a Senator a “Karen,” and he doesn’t tweet memes – nor has he smoked weed with Joe Rogan, as far as we know).

The 50-year-old then ripped into Bezos’s work ethic, adding: “He does not seem to be willing to spend mental energy getting into the details of engineering. The devil’s in the details.”

Musk then compared himself to the 57-year-old and revealed how he spends 80-90 hours per week at work managing projects at Space X and Tesla.

“In some ways, I’m trying to goad him [Bezos] into spending more time at Blue Origin so they make more progress,” he said. “As a friend of mine says, he should spend more time at Blue Origin and less time in the hot tub.”

Currently, Musk is the richest man in the world with a net worth of $255.1bn and Bezos sits in second with a net worth of $199.2bn, according to Forbes.

Musk has previously teased Bezos for placing below him on the list and reportedly told Forbes he was going to send Bezos a present for his second-place position.

“I’m sending a giant statue of the digit “2” to Jeffrey B, along with a silver medal,” he reportedly wrote in an email to the publication in September, Business Insider reported.

In October this year, Musk also mocked Bezos by tweeting a silver medal at him.

Going by these events, it looks like the fighting talk is only set to continue.

Original Article: https://www.indy100.com/celebrities/elon-musk-jeff-bezos-hot-tub-b1977222

Trump-appointed judge says former president is ‘wrong on the law’ and rules Congress can obtain his tax returns

Writing that former President Donald Trump was “wrong on the law,” a federal judge on Tuesday ruled that the Treasury Department should not be prevented from handing over his tax returns to Congress.

Democrats have been seeking the returns since 2019, soon after they regained control of the House of Representatives, saying the returns could show conflicts of interests or tax evasion as well as reveal flaws in the IRS’ auditing methods. Under Trump, the Treasury Department refused.

But that changed once President Joe Biden took office, with the department agreeing this past summer to comply with the request from the House Ways and Means Committee and hand over returns from 2015 to 2020.

Trump’s attorneys had argued the request served no legitimate legislative purpose and that Congress cannot require a president “to disclose particular information or divest from certain businesses.”

But in his 45-page ruling, US District Judge Trevor N. McFadden wrote that his court “cannot accept these conclusory legal statements as true.” Indeed, “Everyone agrees that Congress can compel some information from the Executive.”

McFadden was appointed by Trump in 2017 to the US District Court for the District of Columbia. McFadden had donated $1,000 to Trump’s 2016 campaign, records show.

Ways and Means Committee Chairman Richard Neal, a Democrat from Massachusetts, welcomed the court’s decision.

“This ruling is no surprise, the law is clearly on the committee’s side,” Neal said in a statement Tuesday night. “I am pleased that we’re now one step closer to being able to conduct more thorough oversight of the IRS’s mandatory presidential audit program.”

Original Article: Judge Says Congress Can Obtain Trump’s Tax Returns (businessinsider.com)

Worker Murdered at Tesla Factory

The local police department in Fremont, California has reported a “suspicious death” that occurred on December 13 in the parking lot of Tesla’s factory in the area.

According to a statement received by CNBC, a Tesla worker “had just finished a shift at the Tesla manufacturing factory before being shot in the parking lot as he left.”

It’s even more grim news involving Tesla’s operations in Fremont. Just yesterday, The Washington Post reported that six Tesla workers had come forward alleging “nightmarish conditions” and “rampant sexual harassment” at the facility.

The Argument

Law enforcement was able to track down “a potential suspect who also worked with the victim,” according to the statement, with detectives learning “that the victim and suspect had been arguing earlier in the day, and that the suspect had suddenly walked off the job.”

The suspect was later identified as 29-year-old Anthony Solima of Milpitas, California, who was arrested on Monday night.

Tesla dissolved its entire PR department last year, so we may have to wait and see whether the company will issue a statement regarding the events.

Original Article: Worker Murdered at Tesla Factory (futurism.com)

Powered by WordPress.com.

Up ↑