Today was not the day that Rod Stweart was hoping for.
Palm Beach County Judge August Bonavita announced Friday that a plea deal hearing for the British rockstar and his son, Sean, had been canceled — which means that the pair will have to stand trial in January on battery charges.
The charges stem from an altercation with a security guard in Palm Beach, Fla. nearly two years ago. The Stewarts are accused of causing trouble during New Year’s Eve celebrations in December 2019.
Police said that the two became “agitated” after they were denied access to a private party at The Breakers Palm Beach, a historic luxury hotel in the Florida coastal city. © Bauer-Griffin Rod Stewart and Sean Stewart are seen on August 26, 2015 in Los Angeles.
The duo allegedly pushed and shoved security guard Jessie Dixon. However, a source told People at the time that the incident was only “a brief misunderstanding” with “no injuries,” after which “apologies were exchanged.”
Still, the “Da Ya Think I’m Sexy?” singer, 76, and his reality TV personality son, 41, were later ordered to appear in Palm Beach Court.
The COVID pandemic has delayed court proceedings. In September, Judge August Bonavita canceled a trial date for the duo. A plea deal hearing was set for Oct. 22.
But according to The Associated Press, Bonavita announced Friday that the hearing had been canceled. Father and son are now scheduled to stand trial on misdemeanor battery charges on Jan. 25.
They face a maximum penalty of a year in jail, or probation and a $1,000 fine if convicted.