A video showing an iguana biting a woman who was doing yoga on a beach has gone viral on Twitter, being viewed 1.7 million times as of Saturday morning.
In the video posted Friday evening, user @bahamahoopyogi—who identifies as a yoga instructor in the Bahamas—is seen practicing a yoga pose on the beach when the iguana walks up to her and bites her finger.
She yells in response, “Ow! He bit my f****** finger,” and throws sand at it to get it to leave.
The yoga instructor wrote in a separate tweet that her finger began bleeding right after the bite.
I get bite from an iguana today it was bleeding pic.twitter.com/If2DaUztHf— Blackberry con el jugo dulce🧃 (@bahamahoopyogi) August 20, 2021
Y’all here’s an angle my friend caught lolll. My finger started bleeding right after 😅 pic.twitter.com/sfMLgoySfG— Blackberry con el jugo dulce🧃 (@bahamahoopyogi) August 21, 2021
In a series of tweets posted later, she provided more information about the iguana bite. She explained that there were iguanas “all over the beach” in response to people asking if she saw it.
“Ppl go there to feed them all the time,” she wrote.
The yoga instructor also wrote that her finger is okay, saying she went to the doctor and received antibiotics for the bite.
Other Twitter users took to the comments to respond to the video.
One account, @msolurin, tweeted: “What have me weak is how he bite you and stay right dere to watch you get mad.”
Some people also expressed concern for the yoga instructor’s well-being.
User @Lene_Marlene_, wrote: “After I laughed (sorry girl) I got concerned. Those things carry dangerous bacteria… hope you’ll be ok.”
Iguana bites can be both painful and potentially dangerous to people. Found in Central and South America and the Caribbean, iguanas have “exceptionally sharp” teeth that “are able to cause serious cuts,” according to The Pet Enthusiast, a website that provides information about popular pets.
“An iguana bite is not poisonous or venomous, but it can do serious damage,” the site said. “Iguanas have atrophied venom glands that produce only a very weak and harmless venom. Their bites can cause serious injuries to the fingers, ankles, wrists, and face.”
Anyone who is bitten by an iguana is recommended to flush the bite with warm water and soap; use Betadine and antibacterial ointment; keep it covered for two to three days; and clean it daily.
Medical treatment is recommended for deep iguana bites, according to The Pet Enthusiast: “Reptiles carry negative bacteria in their mouths, which can impact antibiotic treatments. Antibiotics should be taken as prescribed, completing the full course.”
Original Article: Yoga Instructor on Beach Bitten by Iguana in Viral Video Viewed 1.7 Million Times (msn.com)
I hope she’ll be ok. But since you know people feed them there, why go there?? They’re looking to be fed and figure your hand has food. Just my opinion but I hope you heal up and don’t get an infection even tho the doctor gave you antibiotics. Heal Quickly and don’t go there to do yoga any more. Your Health is more important than internet. Please don’t do that again!!